Monday, April 2, 2018



A Few Love Poems


This Aching Joy


Ah!
Why is this pain so sweet?
Or am I already turned into a masochist
unawares?
At this moment,
bearing on the shoulders
all the suffering of the world
I am willing to walk uphill to Calvary.
Oh!
Can a joy be so painful?
I am no longer contained in my own self.
O Eyes in search of happiness!
Come to me –
I will give you the diamond beads of tears
blended with my smile.
Ragini,
shall I take them all into my embrace
and reveal the mystery of this aching joy?











Riddled


What is it that I’m possessed by?
At one moment,
I see myself in the gloomy silence
Of a guilty face;
Next moment in elation
I go dancing green leaves on the trees.
Sometimes I am gripped by the graveness
That fills the hall of a condolence meeting.
Sometimes like a fine morning horizon
I keep smiling.
What’s wrong with me?
Now I feel my breath
Choked in my throat,
Now I feel tickled
And released in peals of laughter.
Sometimes I go shrinking in embarrassment,
Sometimes riding on the wings of ecstatic wind
I go around humming a new tune.
o


As you fingered...


As you fingered the earth of my body
a sensation sprouted on it,
started growing quietly
covering the entire field
with its tickling vines
and smooth shiny leaves
while sending roots deep down
into my heart
that throbs whispering – love… love… love…







Walking along the Road

1.
That day
we walked along the ancient road,
as ancient as primeval human emotions
or as the beginning of civilization.
But I was unknowingly overwhelmed
by the fresh smell of stones and earth
as if they were just turned up
as in some road being newly constructed.

Did you not feel so, dear?

2.
Like the spades
digging soft earth rhythmically
our footsteps were falling on the ground,
and standing on the edge of the road,
we scanned the distant hills
and valleys thousands of years old
which but appeared to me
like some exotic land
newly discovered by the Columbus of my eyes.

Did you not feel so, my Love?
o










Those Moments at a Roadside


Seated at the edge of time,
whatever we spoke to each other
was not a talk
between mythical Madhu and Malati.
The words we uttered
were the moments we lived together.
We are very much here,
just like the grass
grown in the crevices of rocks.
Even when someone
sees in them nothing but illusion
how can those moments we lived be any different?
How can the truth we envisioned in them
be replaced?
*
Our unrestrained laughter then
was not for some toothpaste advertisement.
The words we spoke to each other
were not rehearsed for a theatrical play.
With the moments emancipated
from the circumference of a clock
I was far away
from the bazaar of consumerism,
escaped also from the bounds of pragmatism.
I am talking of the trust and confidence
we lived in those moments.
I am afraid
these words may sound absurd to you now!

o

Madhu and Malati: Protagonists of an old popular romantic fantasy.








Disarmed


No, I knew not at all
that I would ever go baring myself
in front of you in this manner
I know not
when I,
one after another,
put off my honour and dignity
and laid them at your feet
Even the Karna-kavach of my self-respect
I have torn off my chest
and handed it to you, smiling
Now I am so disarmed
a prod with your little finger is enough
to make me bleed
o



The Love We Lived


Now, there’s no longer the pain
I had suffered from that wound.

There’s only a fossil of that pain.
Anything can be done with this fossil.
It can even be played like a toy.
Rest assured.

There was a time
when we were in love. Weren’t we?
During that tiny fragment of time
we were lovers.
But falling from the edge of our eyes
to the ground of transience,
that fragment of time disappeared.
Now, I realize –
what happened then had to happen that way.

You dared to throw away
the usualness of everyday affairs 
together with your broken-heeled sandals.
Nowadays,
I too feel like laughing
at the foolish dream
that it would last for all time. 
We rather live many a usualness –
fragment / frag / ment / of usu/ al/ ness/ es!

The moment of love we lived as one
is a truth that lives eternally in our memory.
But our promises were dreams
we saw in our deep sleep.
A moment was there in which
you and I were one single embrace.

On the muddy path of uncertainty
I go stepping on the stones of moments.
I live moment.
Moment!  












No comments:

Post a Comment